Friday, April 4, 2014

The Thing about Night Shift

So...I've had the pleasure to experience the dreaded 4 nights of night shift Jerad has to work about 3 times now.  There are some observations I have made based on consistent experiences when Jerad is away at night and sleeps through the day (or attempts too)

1) The wine flows more freely from about 8:30 to 10 pm...and my craving to have it begins about 3:30 pm...when the school bell rings..
Jerad has found a honey hole at Marion Reservoir and our freezer is full of white bass.

2) I can wear my holey sweat pants and fuzzy red socks and forget to brush my teeth...and not care.

 3) The bed is about 10 degrees cooler without another body in it at night..

4) Every sound in the house after about 10 pm, is magnified, and triggers a funnel of scenarios I could play out in my head...how will I fight him off?  Kick him in the crotch or poke his eyes out?  will all the kids fit under the bed?  baseball bat or gun? how fast can I really run?  which neighbor's door will I pound on?

The kids and I ran the "Miles of Smiles for Mija" race this past weekend. We were reminded of how short life is and to take advantage of every moment together.  Even if it IS dragging your oldest the last 1/4 mile of a 1/2 mile race because she swore her legs were falling off...
Autum signed up for the kids race but started crying as soon as the gun went off and never finished.  This is the face I got the whole entire day...but she was pretty excited about the colored powder we threw up in the air before taking off.
5) These are the only 4 nights I hear Blake up moaning and banging his head on his crib...3 am...every morning, like clockwork. 

We celebrated "International Down Syndrome Day" March 21. (3/21)
6) I have to make pee a lot more during the night...could be the wine...
Autum got her hair cut off.  A LOT. I'm tired of screamfest 2000 every morning trying to rid her head of rats.  She told the hair dresser she didn't need to wash her hair because we already did "last year"...ha!  We are still learning the meaning of "yesterday" "tomorrow" "last year" "last week"....

7) I stay up way to stinkin' late...

8) I can watch something on TV besides the Outdoor Channel, History Channel, or Discovery.

9) Autum's screams can probably break glass...and will wake up the neighbors...

10) It is the only mornings Blake throws the wooden toy box lid down the stairs, over and over and over...

11)  Leah ringing the doorbell 10 times in a matter of minutes, because she is getting impatient with my slow process of getting both 'littles' out the door dressed with non-poopy pants for her 8 am school bell...will SEND ME OVER THE EDGE!  I think it makes me yell something like, "ARE YOU CRAZY?? You are NOT going to gymnastics tonight, not having a friend over this weekend, are going to have to do twice the chores as normal when you get home if YOU just woke your DADDY UP!!!!"

12)  I do a lot of apologizing and making up for my stress levels that are through the roof...

13) Find that our meals consist of: popcorn, carrots, orange juice, apples and peanut butter, almond ice cream, chips, a tortilla here a slice of bread there, PB&J, cheese stick...

14) "FROZEN" is a great babysitter when you need a shower.

15) I can NO longer give all 3 kids a bath at the same time.  Too many questions about things I don't want to discuss without their daddy home.  Leah still wants to know why Uncle Jeremy and Aunt Kate's girl cows don't get married to the bulls before they have calves and why there are so many mommy cows and only a few daddy's....

16) I am not good about planning ahead with what I'm going to wear for the next day's clothes.  I have to lay out workout clothes and the clothes I'll be wearing for the day....the night before...and I ALWAYS forget something....so if Autum tells you "mommy isn't wearing any panties"....or "mommy is wearing the same outfit she wore yesterday" you'll know why...Jerads on nights..

17) I only lock the chain on the door and lock Jerad out on his 4 nights...every other night the van doors are unlocked, the back gate unlocked, the garage door is wide open...

18) The kids only want to sing Annie or Frozen at the top of their lungs or practice the heel stomp shuffle line dance during these days their daddy wants to sleep...

19) Packages are only delivered on these days...(which equates to abnormal doorbell ringing--after I make sure it isn't Leah)

20) Autum can't find her matching shoes, so throws her other shoes against the wall we share with her bedroom, while frantically searching and crying loudly..."I caaaaaaannnnnnnt fiiiiiiiiiiind myyyyyyyyyyyyyy shoooooooooooooooooooooooes!" MOM!!!!!

21) and finally...I realize how much I love my husband!  (and need him)




This is Autum's chore list. Leah made her.

This is Leah's chore list.  I made her.  Leah made Autum a chore list-based off the chores I have her do weekly-- and offered to pay her a penny out of every $1 Leah earns each week...because Leah is "so stinking tired of having to work all day."  Smart kid. I foresee her future in management and business. :)  Leah wakes every morning and asks Autum if she has done her chores for the day...I'm still convincing Leah that Autum putting on deodorant and brushing her own teeth does NOT count for Leah...
March was the CrossFit Open...so I spent a lot of extra time working out in our garage...and Blake began his potty training process as well.  This is how the two events collided.  You gotta do, what you gotta do.



No comments:

Post a Comment