Saturday, July 27, 2013

Doctor's Visits

For some dumb reason, I thought it was a genius idea to schedule multiple doctor's appointments the week after Kate's wedding when everyone is so well-rested and back to normal routine...ha.ha.ha.

So Monday was a total blur, as the kids were in full on fatigue crisis-mode.  Screaming, hitting, pooping in our training pants, picking at each other, refusing any snack I offer, throw our cups when they are empty, forget all manners, who needs naptime, and any sanity...mode...

Tuesday I worked all day.  We received 2 offers on the house.  We accepted 1 offer on the house.  We hit full on stress-mode as we realized we had 3 1/2 weeks to move...somewhere...but no idea where..

Wednesday: the first doctor appointment with a new doctor in McPherson.  It was for Autum.  She has been experiencing some very alarming symptoms to me that left my mom gut wondering about diabetes.  Yes.  I had some nightmares about the possibility of 3 of my kids having health issues...but luckily Autum's blood sugar came back normal.  Thank God!   She is now being tested for diabetes insipidis, which isn't as scary but still something I will have to pay attention too.  So anyway the appointment required a urine sample and a blood draw.  Oh lovely...with 3 kids in one tiny room.  So the nurse chooses to do a finger prick to draw Autum's blood, which was fine with me.  This was before I knew they needed 2 vials...Autum was a trooper and did great. She only cried out once and just watched the rest of the time.  I thought we were good until I look over at Leah who was watching...she was white as a ghost.  I start to ask her if she's okay and she immediately sprints to the sink and begins to gag and throw up...

So the nurse moves the rest of her supplies and we let her finish before making her lie down on the check up table and rest.  She gets some water and regains color.  We still have to get a urine sample at this time. So I ask her if she's okay.  She rests while Blake, Autum, and I make our way to the potty.  The nurse puts the little pee collection hat in the toilet and I turn around to help Autum pull her shorts down...I lift her up to sit her on the toilet seat when Blake swoops in pulls the hat out of the toilet, plops it on his head, and takes off running, laughing like PeeWee Herman...oh my gosh!  I'm so glad it didn't have pee in it yet...I get it back in place, block the toilet area with my left leg to shoo Blake away, while I use my right arm and leg to hoist Autum up on the toilet.  It is a full body job.  This is why I workout, folks! :)

After that chaos, I grab both "little's" hands, tell Leah to suck it up buttercup and we dart our way out of there.  I yell at the nurse on my way to call with the results...we quickly drove our way to the park to run off some steam in wide open spaces. 

I recovered from that just long enough to realize we had to drive to Wichita the next day for Blake's endocrinology appointment...wah, wah waaaahhhh.  And this one required us to leave before 8 am.  Another big mess-up!  So I load the kids up in whatever clothes they chose or were already wearing, stopped in and grabbed 3 donuts at the bakery, and off we flew.  I got a few miles out of town before deciding to look in the rearview mirror to see what kind of shape we were in...

This is how my view looked...Autum had no less than 5 headbands in her hair, with 2 in her hands.  A red/pink dress and neon orange tennis shoes on the wrong feet.  Still unsure if she had socks on.  Or panties...or a diaper.

Blake had his glasses pulled down over his mouth and was spitting pieces of donut on the lenses and licking it off.  He was dressed normal, at least, because I had to do it. 

Leah was in jeans, a short sleeve shirt, and a coat!  What in the world??  On a day it was supposed to be 100 degrees...I didn't even bother with that question.  It is what it is...

We pull into the doctor's office, I am pumped we are actually on time.  Go to the front desk and the lady tells me we are at the wrong office.  We should have gone to the other office...out the door, down the street, to the upper level parking garage.  Go down to the main floor, then over on another elevator down the hall, up 1 floor to the left, the office is the 3rd on the right...

Oh....my....gosh.

So then we run out the door hand in hand again...poor Blake flying at the back, I'm not sure his feet were even touching the ground as we moved.  I literally threw the kids in their car seats and off we went.  By this time we were late for our appointment...of course.  Now, at least, we were running more in our typical 15-minutes late fashion.  We get there, go over the stats of his latest thyroid draw.  And decide based on conflicting results from the past 2 blood work samples to do another blood draw.  Leah's face goes white even just hearing those words...

This time I tell her she is not allowed in the room.  Well, we prepare ourselves for the blood work and the nurse states we have to go over to Wesley MC and be admitted as a patient, fill out paperwork, then go wait in line at the lab....

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

And it was nearing the 11 am mark by now...kids were hungry, I was ticked.  Great combination...

So off we go...to another small cubicle.  I load the kids up with pretzels I found at the bottom of the diaper bag to keep them entertained. I made sure there wasn't any mold on them. I answered a lot of questions, turned over more money and insurance paperwork, and headed to the lab.  Blake had to give every single person a high-five that was waiting in the room.  It was the highlight of my day.  I tell you, that kid warms my heart with the way he brightens everyone's face up with s smile.  Just with his presence.  (I think his glasses help too) :) 

He is a trooper, gives the blood.  We go. 
I treated the kids to Five Guys..greasy hamburgers, salty fries.  I even asked the cashier if they sold wine...yes, I was that stressed! 

I sit down and Leah asks if she can pretend to be my doctor now.  I agree, just so I can eat in peace.  She begins to do my check-up using her straw, fork, and a napkin.  I just tell her I'm leaving my clothes on for this one, so don't even ask.  We are in public still.  She whines at first, but finally agrees.  I ask her if she wants to be a doctor when she grows up...
She answers, "I'm not sure, maybe...I'll tell you this, though, I sure as HECK ain't working in the lab!!!"

I agree this is probably true.

No comments:

Post a Comment