Friday, July 19, 2013

The Fear of the Black Snake

I feel like all of my life experiences lately, have revolved around poop.

But unfortunately, this is the stage of life I'm living in...so bear with me.

As you know, Autum has been on a long journey of potty training.  This is the most successful attempt we have had yet, in the fact that she is wearing cotton panties for the majority of the day.  Minus naptime and bedtime.  So I think we are almost there! 

Well we were...

Autum has taken a liking to taking her bathroom breaks in our portable Elmo potty that squeals and laughs when you pretend to flush it.  So it sits in her room beside her bed, in case she decides to get up at night and go.  Actually the little potty has made its appearance in several places...in our backyard, by the baby pool, on the front porch, in the back garage...pretty much wherever she demands it to be.

Anyway, it's what is motivating her to go right now.  Despite my annoyance with having to clean it out all the time, its working, so we'll go with it.  Well the other day I walk into her room after hearing her screaming and Leah yelling.

Something to the tone of this: "Autum...look! There's a black snake in your toilet!  Ha! Ha! Ha!  You pooped a black snake!  Watch out it will bite you!"  (and on...and on...)

And Autum proceeds to jump off her toilet with her shorts around her ankles, crying in fear and screaming..."no snake!  No snake! AHHHHH!!"

Now she refuses to go #2 out of fear of the black snake making another appearance...
And I want to cry and laugh every time I know she has to go...because of her genuine fear and because of the hilarity of it all...

I have even stooped so low out of desperation, encouraging her to pinch when she poops so we make "baby snakes.."
Or that the black snake is a nice snake and will go bye-bye down the drain...

So of course we are in a public bathroom at the cardiologist Tuesday and she has to poop...she even tells me she does...so we make our way to the bathroom.  We get in the stall and I begin my coaxing voice hoping it doesn't become an issue...of course there are 2 other ladies using the stalls next to us...and I'm just praying everything comes out alright. :)

Well, of course...this is what happens: "MOMMMY!!! No black snake...nooooo!  It scawwwwr  me...no, no, no! I don't want no black snake....waaaahhhh!"

I begin my typical conversation of making little black snakes and that everyone makes black snakes...and on and on... and the giggling begins...from 2 doors down...

I finally get her to go and we quickly flush the snake down the toilet and get the heck out of there...while I'm washing my hands Autum proceeds to ask the lady washing her hands at the sink if she has a black snake too...

I am ready to just forget the appointment at this point and head home to our protective 4 walls where I can deal with our snake issue in private...but that just isn't feasible...

So until then, we continue to face the fears of the black snake...
*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment