Monday, February 24, 2014

Tough Kids. Tough Mom's


Man, I tell you what. This commercial hits the nail on the head.  In my experience with working with adults with special needs and in my own personal life with my own kids, hands down, people with developmental disabilities are the toughest people I know!  They have to fight for everything, day in and day out.  Physical therapy. Speech therapy. Occupational therapy.  Endless doctor's appointments. Lab draws. Med changes.  Psych evals. Extra classroom work. Physical pain. Emotional scars.

But you wouldn't know this.  Not from most.  Most of the people who live with these disabilities rarely see them as disabilities at all.  Most use what you and I see as a disability to be his/her motivation.  Inspiration.  Platform.  Desire.
They have heart.
Drive.
Work ethic.
Life.

I will not lie. There are days when I just WISH someone would live in my shoes.  Live with the struggles I deal with as a mom of 2 with special needs.  The pain.  The behaviors.  The inability to communicate.  The shortcomings.  The exhaustion.  The constant fight.  The sleepless nights.  Just wish people knew how tough life can be sometimes...it's not easy.  And not always fun.  There are lots of things we can't do as a family because of our family.  Places we won't go.  Experiences we won't have.

Yes, it is easy to let myself 'go there' with my thoughts.  To feel sorry. To feel bad.
But then I look around at my kids and the clients I work with, and realize they aren't slowing down to feel sorry for themselves.  To wish their life away for someone else's.  No. They are living it up.  Their way.  Each and every day.  They make that choice.

So should I.

So while this commercial gives credit to the tough mom's behind the toughest kids...which I think is amazing...not just any parent could do it.  I fully believe God knows what He is doing when He creates families. 

But...I feel like I am only tough through the daily inspiration of my tough kids and clients.  They make me stronger. 

For sure.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment